It was my 15th non-stop pull-up and my 3rd set. I knew I could do more but I had 7 other exercises to do in two hours. I looked at the clock and smiled because this was my job and for the time being I was happy. I weighted 182 lbs, I was able to bench press close to 280 lbs, I had a body fat composition of around 8%, I could play a full 90 minute soccer game without much worry, and I was able to squat over 300 lbs. This was 3 years ago.
Fast forward to 2014 through two career changes, financial hardship, and from a promising relationship to being single, I now weigh 191 lbs, I can barely make it through 3 minutes in a soccer game, and I struggle with 225 lbs on the bench. Pull-ups are no longer a warm up but instead something that I struggle with now. It seems that everything has aligned itself (well close enough) for me to get back on it. If you have been reading my blog my pre-Thailand workout plan didn’t work out too well.
Here’s the plan:
May 1-June 15
I’ll spend this time trying to gain my strength and endurance back. Using the bench press, max squat, deadlift, pull-up, and 1 mile run, I’ll be able to measure my fitness and establish my baseline.
June 16-July 15
Hopefully by now I’ll be back to where I was 2 years ago. I want to surpass those numbers.
We’ll see how this goes. Today’s workout:
- Warm up: 10 minute stairstepper
- Pull ups & Chin Ups: 3 pull ups & 3 chin ups for 1 set. 3*x 3sets
- Single-Arm Lat Pull: Shoot for 8 for 4 sets on each arm
- Super Set: Seated Row: Shoot for 8 reps for 6 sets
- Super Set: Straight Bar Bicep Curls: Shoot for 12 reps for 6 sets
- Ab Crunch Machine: 12 reps for 3 sets
- 100 core medley (Choose any 4 core exercises and do 25 reps each)
(I do cardio separate from my lifting.)